Friday, November 30, 2012

Rundown to the next residency

It has been a lot of work trying to get a huge set of papers burned and printed. I'm trying to close the gap now with some final pieces. It gets harder with little actual sunlight as the UV light only takes a few papers at a time. Unlike the yard which I can lay out several at once.

I will have a few more photos soon. But right now I've been putting in somewhere around 30 hrs a week on these things and I'm just about done. I haven't counted yet but I know I'm running out of storage room!

The latest writing is getting posted here - the artist statement. If I get a chance I'll try to link up the other papers.

I'd like to mention to anyone reading that if you are working along any of these lines, I'd love to hear from you. Let me know what you've tried and how it's going or what you're ideas are!


Artist Statement

 
In examining the meaning and expectation of what a photograph is, this work creates a tension and confusion in the viewer. Meaning comes from seeking to understand and organize the pieces as if a puzzle, making the viewer implicit in the work.

 
In the Haystack series there are multiple readings and several levels of associations that make the certainty of what it is even harder to pin down. This deliberate confusion invites questions, provokes reactions, and realigns thought patterns. By choosing to deny the traditional beauty, image, and preciousness of earlier photographic traditions, tension is introduced along a tight line of understanding and misunderstanding. Puzzling out meaning and re-aligning the idea of what constitutes a photograph is elemental in my work. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment