Monday, January 23, 2012

Image making

I have been working on a series of images that investigate spacial concerns as well as group dynamics and the idea of framing.


This idea of framing includes positioning the viewer integral to understanding the mediated quality of photos as non-realistic images made of choices of what is shown and what is left out.

This piece was taken from my window at the Buckminster looking down on the street below (Beacon St.). Street scenes intrigue me and night scenes are even more interesting with the added color and movement of lights from cars, windows, and signs.
Here I reference the act of looking - the aspect  of photography that is often forgotten. Isn't what we see and our viewing of images before our eyes how it all starts? Admit it - we all love people watching and constructing stories to go along with their lives.


In the other line of shooting I'm doing I am journaling the practice sessions for off season baseball training. In this work I am looking at the dynamics of groups. Boys who have just met each other and their spatial relationships as well as rendering that 3 dimensional space on a 2-D photographic plane.



Added to the concerns of space and relationships I want to express a quality of movement and speed in relationship to time.


In choosing B&W I eliminate the distraction of color and concentrate the focus to what is essential in the photograph.




No comments:

Post a Comment