Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Wading In and tying a life line


I am not one of those who are able to drop names or references immediately or can do the gallery speak at any time. I do think they are necessary but not all of us are endowed with the ability to constantly recall names of artists and specific art pieces. And I don't have anything against this -it's just that some of us struggle with the spoken language and immediate recall.
I worked hard to overcome a major illness and I no longer want it to define me, but I do have trouble with many things others do easily. So It will take even more work on my part to keep names in my head. And if I ask you for the third time what your name is or what type of work you do, please understand it has nothing to do with not caring on my part but more a trying to get things solidified in my brain.

There definitely was an onslaught of ideas, opinions, and information during the first residency. I was told by other students that it would be easier moving forward in that you become more able to handle the information deluge of day after day crits and seminars. It was very exciting and invigorating number of days but I would have to agree that it threatened to swallow me with mental overload.

No comments:

Post a Comment