Thursday, August 9, 2012

Using the sun to advantage

I have been working on coating different types of paper with cyanotype to see what happens and get a feel for how each takes the process and final wash as well as accepting the image.

I used a paper backing of Kraft  paper and on the front used cut strips of Epson photographic paper. This was a leap in assuming that photographic paper would accept the cyanotype. The image didn't come through but I'm not sure that it's a problem. I was interested in producing both image and non-image this semester.

I had dipped the paper in a tray of cyan so actually both sides were coated. When I put it out in the sun I found both sides produced a latent image. The result of dark and light is perfect and goes back to the idea and importance of light.

When I rinsed it and left it to dry it curled up on itself. I am happy with the lack of flatness. My considerations have been how to present it. I am thinking I would love it have it show both sides but don't know if I want it hung or presented some other way.

I've done a few other papers including Canson Mi-teintes and regular water color paper. The amount of time in sunlight for creating an image is pretty long. Again each paper had differences and difficulties. The Mi-teintes was pretty fragile and tore a bit during the rinse. Again it wasn't a problem for me as it highlighted a weather beaten feel.

I'm also looking at completely deconstructing the idea and image of a photograph. I took a printed photo (printed on rice paper) and ripped it up. Then pasted it on a background that was painted, mono-printed, and had wax drippings. This is a more traditional presentation on a flat surface.

I have no idea how others will view this. I wanted to really question what a photograph is and what we expect to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment